Do you find yourself making super simple low FODMAP meals where you simply cook up the meat without any flavour because you have no idea how to add flavour without adding FODMAPs? Or perhaps you know how to do it, but think it’s going to add heaps of time to your cooking and prep time?
I’m guilty of the second option on many days, but with simple dried herbs and spices, you can add lots of flavour in no time at all, just as I’ve done with these low FODMAP Lamb Skewers with Oregano and Garlic Oil.
Let’s talk FODMAPs
Lamb, garlic and oregano area a wonderful combination, which anyone who enjoys Greek food will certainly agree. I often used to order lamb at Greek restaurants, but now with needing to avoid garlic, I can’t do that. In fact, I find that ordering at Greek restaurants is very tough because they normally marinate the meat hours in advance, so without advance warning there’s nothing available that’s not covered in garlic.
But, by using garlic-infused olive oil, which lets you enjoy garlic flavour without the fructans, you can make your own Greek-style lamb at home that’s as garlicky as you want. Then add some oregano, a bit of paprika for extra flavour, and you’ve got serious deliciousness with next to no effort.
Cook on a grill or however you like
These lamb skewers are designed for cooking on a grill, whether that’s a barbecue, grill pan or under a griller (broiler), but they can also be cooked in a regular frying pan if you want. In fact, if you’re feeling a bit on the lazy side, you can skip the skewering process and just toss the lamb in the flavours and then cook them in a frying pan. So there’s really no excuses for not adding flavour to your meat.
So how about cooking up these lamb skewers today. They’re really easy to make, cook in a flash, and are delicious with nearly anything you serve them with. Here’s a couple of serving ideas:
- The lamb skewers go beautifully with a side of Low FODMAP Ratatouille (as seen in the photos). Add some mashed potatoes to round out the meal.
- Another great way to serve the lamb skewers is with a wedge of lemon, along with salad or veggies and rice or potatoes.
Add flavour and fun to your meat, without the FODMAPs. These low FODMAP lamb skewers with oregano and garlic oil will hit the spot at your next BBQ.
- 440g lean diced lamb
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper (if desired)
- 2 tsp garlic-infused olive oil (see notes)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Thread the diced lamb onto 8 metal or bamboo skewers, making them as even and flat as possible so that they cook evenly. Note: if you’re using bamboo skewers over a flame, it’s a good idea to soak them in water for a couple of hours before using.
- Combine the oregano and paprika in a small bowl, along with salt and pepper (if using). Sprinkle over both sides of the lamb skewers and press into the surface. Then, drizzle the garlic-infused olive oil and the extra virgin olive oil evenly over the skewers. Rub the skewers with your hands (or a brush) to spread out the oil over the surface of the meat.
- Heat a grill pan, BBQ or frying pan. Add the skewers and cook for about 3 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Note that the timing will depend on how hot your pan or BBQ is.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe is suitable for a low FODMAP diet, provided that the recommended serving size for this recipe is not exceeded.
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free. However, if you have an allergy to any of these items, or have coeliac disease, please check the labels on any purchased ingredients to ensure they are safe for your requirements.
- Garlic-infused olive oil is a low FODMAP ingredient because FODMAPs are not soluble in oil. It is safest to use a commercially-prepared garlic-infused olive oil. I like to use the Cobram Estate Garlic Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which you can find in supermarkets.
Low FODMAP Portion
- Serving Size: 2 skewers